Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Attention to detail #1



I have read a lot of topics on Barndoor details at thesamba.com and other places. Last night I did some work on the passenger door, and found some funny details again. I knew the window frame on the door had a number punched in on top, and that this number somehow relates to the body number of the van. This means the doors were "one-of" from the factory. But what I found last night is that the hinges have the same number punched into them.This number is usually covered with metal, so you would have to remove the hinge to see it. My hinge is broken, so I had to get it out, and some old damage repair has to be redone (it has been welded at some point). The question is; repair the original stamped one, or replace it with another?

If all this numbering of doorparts should make any sense, the door it self should have the same number somewhere? Someone knows?

No comments: