Monday, December 07, 2009

Reinforcements


A little inspired from the lessions at Norwegian Hammerworks, I had to find out what we could do with the tool in our garage. Bending metal shouldn't be that hard, so I tried some easy profiles for a start. Because everything is gone in the frame of the BD I measured as good as possible and made the two crossmembers. The one in front is already on it's way from south america, but I used it as a trial piece and I'll have it as a spare. The rear one worked out OK. I made them in two pieces, and will weld them toghether when mounted. I think I will have to do the same to the top hats, as my plan is to keep the cargofloor in the van. The 1,5 mm steel was about the limit of our tool for bending metal.

As for other progress, the gearbox and rear suspension is fully removed from the car. It's a painstaking job to take a rusted out wreck apart. Evertything is stuck beyond imagination...

Things brake and fall apart, but I try to keep up with fixing it instantly, as I did to the lever shock and door hinge.

No comments: